Tuesday, January 01, 2008

I Make Me...Promises Promises


Tis the season to imagine one's self as a better, more vibrant and productive person. New Year's resolutions are things which I've informally considered, but never put down in writing before since in the past I've had the good sense to know that I won't keep them. But since this New Year's Day is the first holiday I've had free from work this year I thought it would be a nice change to take time for a little introspection and come up with a list of promises I'm sure to break. Who knows? Maybe I'll be able to keep a few in spite of myself. Here are my resolutions for 2008 in no particular order.

1.
Read more. In the past year my reading has steadily gone down hill. Textbooks and lesson plans have replaced the short story collections and novels that I used to tear through. This year I make a promise to myself to read more often. I will also try to read more small press literature since some of my favorite books in the last few years have been put out by publishers other than the major houses.
2.
Subscribe to more literary journals. It's the least I can do if I want them to publish my work, and it's great to be blown away by the work of someone I've never heard of.

3.
Produce more work. Even though as of late I've been teaching five courses and working another part-time job, if I am honest with myself I always have an hour or so a day that I could use to write instead of surf the internet or consider how far television has fallen.

4.
Spend more time with my family. I said these were in no particular order.

5.
Exercise. I think I'm required to include this by law, or at least as a matter of tradition.

So that's it for promises. I could go into more self-auditing, but I'm far too tired to bother to pick myself apart further. If I keep one or two of these I'll be happy. It's New Year's Day and anything seems possible. I end with an appropriate quote that arrived in my inbox today via The Writer's Almanac.

"Be always at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let each new year find you a better man."- Ben Franklin

No comments: